2 posts tagged Silver Swans
MIXTAPE MONDAYS! With mixes from Bathetic Records, Slumberland Records, The Find Magazine, and La 3h Heure!
Hope everyone had a fantastic time ringing in the new year. Day one of 2012 couldn’t have been more perfect for me. I spent most of it at the beach, so wanted to include a pic of my amazing day above. Below are some of the best compilations to come out recentlly, with an array of music and genres, so there is something for everyone. Enjoy!
Bathetic Records - Expressway Curated by Dirty Beaches and William Cody Watson
Bathetic Records just released a free 2012 compilation as a way to say thanks for a great 2011 and kick off 2012 with a bang. The mix was curated by Alex Zhang Huntai of Dirty Beaches, and William Cody Watson of Pink Priest. With contributions from both both Dirty Beaches and WCW, Lee Noble, Ela Orleans, Cough Cool, Speculator and lots more, it’s a fantastic way to celebrate 2012.
DOWNLOAD Expressway HERE.
Bob42jh Films About Ghosts Mix for The Find Magazine
The self proclaimed “humanitarian for hip hop,” Youtube channel C-leb has dropped another fantastic mix for The Find Magazine. Earlier this year, Bob captured my heart with his 42 song compilation called Fallen Skies along with his label’s first compilation and release, Friends and Family. Bob focuses on jazzy instrumental tunes with lots of hip hop and Japanese influences. Obscure is an understatement, but nonetheless, there are always plenty of gems to be uncovered. Jamz from Evenings, Emancipator, Urban Romantic City, Paul Dateh and more on this mix.
DOWNLOAD Films About Ghosts HERE.
Le 3e heure! Best of December 2011 Mix
The French music blog that scowers the net for everything you could ever want when it comes to indie music, just posted a “Best of December,” Mix that I am really loving. I have discovered some new faves, and been reminded of some of the best music that came out this month. New tracks from The Weeknd, Silver Swans, Sun Angels, Planningtorock, and School of Seven Bells, plus a great Gang Gang Dance remix.
Stream the Best of Decembre 011 mix HERE.
Slumberland Records Best of Winter 2012 Sampler
Looks like it’s shaping up to be an incredible year for Slumberland Records already. This new sampler of tunes is a perfect example. My faves on the mix so far have been from The Weekend, Veronica Falls, Neverever, Devon Williams and Sea Lions. Bring on 2012.
Stream Slumberland’s Best of Winter 2012 Sampler below.
BEST OF CMJ MUSIC MARATHON 2011
I never in my wildest dreams expected this year’s CMJ Music Marathon, a weeklong festival every October in various locations and venues across Manhattan, Brooklyn and beyond, to be so amazing. Besides getting to check out the hottest up-and-coming musical acts, it’s an opportunity to network with a different crowd of music industry folk that you most likely will not see at SXSW. Where SXSW confirms who the game changers of the year will be, CMJ sets the stage for those acts to emerge.
Big ups to the incredible crew of music loving bandits that made this trip so special, and reminded me how lucky I am to live the life I do. I put together a list of my top moments from this past week, and will be posting a mixtape of all of the artists that moved me. After all, we’re all just trying to feel something; it’s music that helps us get there. Enjoy!
- PRE-MEGABLAAG love fest @ IGIF’s awesome day party
- Talking to hawtie drummer in Young Magic and then catching their sweet live set. They are touring w/Youth Lagoon. Def catch them.
- Ears of the Beholder and Yvynyl’s MEGABLAAG
- Convincing Daily Beatz to make the game time decision to come to CMJ
- Watching my boys Abadabad play live (proud mom moment)
- Getting to shoot the shit with Bradford Cox (Deerhunter/Atlas Sound) and dude from Balkans outside a party
- Ann of Silver Swans dance moves
- Small Plates Record’s latest signee, Gracie’s second show ever, that included a choreographed boy band dance routine
- The entire exfm crew, but especially miss Jessica Ivy Page
- Catching two Guards shows and getting to tell them about me and @emilyhogan’s Guards fan club
- Missing all 10 of Gauntlet Hair’s shows (catching them in LA in November to make up for it)
- Grimes @ The Gorilla vs Bear/Yours Truly Party
- The makeshift sketchy ass bathrooms at Glasslands
- Lands & Peoples absolutely killing it at their only performance
- Losing my voice (again) and @phantomkicks making fun of me about it. Pretty hilarious
- Chrome Sparks & Steffaloo – I think I almost cried
- Jape live – def one the top performances of the week
- So much LA love w/homies Vanaprasta and Hands helping me represent
- Caveman. WOW.
- Flashing Wavves of awesome that is @FLASHLIGHTSBAND
- Getting to harass Tanlines and hear their new record that drops March 2012 via True Panther Sounds. It’s really fantastic
- Free booze (see: The Fader Fort, My parties, BK Vegan)
- The newly formed Music Jew Crew w/ Knox Road
- This Music Definitely Does Not Suck
- Waking up in a strange Brooklyn apartment…by myself
- Hard Mix
- Getting to meet Nathaniel Whitcomb of Think of Smile and Dave Sutton of Stadiums & Shrines – two very cool dudes, doing very cool things
- The darlings in Snowmine, Archie Powell, Conveyor and Gun Lake. You boys are too sweet.
- Jimmy Morris comments. “Dre, if you’re cold, put on some pants!”
- Body Language’s live set. They get real funky. Go see them.
- Hugging it out with Mark of Yvynyl. Been a long time coming buddy
- Wise Blood working out the kinks. Live set is really coming together
- Free swag (condoms, vinyl, shirts, stickers, magazines, key chains, cd’s, tapes, etc)
- Widowspeak playing some seriously sexy jamz
- Me complaining about seeing Chad Valley too many times (guy is lovely, and probably really needs a nap)
- Beat Connection’s awkward on-stage banter “So…not sure how long this is going to take to fix, you guys should prob go get drinks now.” Adorable.
- Finally meeting the wonderful Victor Ferreria of Sun Glitters
- Bar hopping w/BK natives Selebrities and Adam of James & Evander
- Radiation City being one of the most talked about artists of the fest. They are long time friends of my mine, was so stoked for them
- The Fader for reminding me print is not dead, and if you thought it was, you clearly haven’t read the beautifully crafted pages of The Fader Magazine. This month’s ICON ISSUE is all about Notorious BIG, really great stuff. I just renewed my subscription
- DAVE SUCHANEK OF BIGGER BRUSH MEDIA. I LOVE YOU BUT I HATE YOU. I OWE EVERYTHING TO YOU. BEEN A PLEASURE MY FRIEND.
MIXTAPE COMING LATER TODAY. ENJOY!